Thursday, January 14, 2010

Perkins Acquired...

We have a new goalkeeper! I am excited about Perkins coming back, but also sort of bummed we lost our first round draft pick. I believe that both teams got pieces that they needed in order to get better. My dissapointment comes from my increased interest in the draft due to the increased media attention. It is a part of MLS that is unique in comparison to foreign leagues. I am still holding hope that DC finds a way to get in to the earlier rounds of the draft, but I am not sure what assets United has left to deal other than the players we don't want to lose.

I am choosing to stick to the positives of this trade though, and we not only got a starting goalkeeper, but we got a known quantity. Someone that wants to be here. Someone we know works well with our coaching staff. There is also something to be said for his first quote after returning to United from behind the Badge:
“Since my wife and I have been discussing this, we’ve had a lot of excitement about coming back to DC. To be able to raise a family in the states and to be back in the black and red – it’s more than just a feeling. It’s something deep in the heart and the soul. D.C. United is where things began and where I belong.”


Goalkeeping has been a major issue for the team since he left. I liked Josh Wicks because I am predisposed to like people with fire and intensity (Ben Olsen), but there needs to be something better to say about your goalkeeper than, "Well, he's better than Zach Wells!"

Now is also time to put faith in the front office to either make trades or, more likely, sign foreign talent. There is quite a bit of cap space left after Olsen, Fred, Emilio and possibly Gomez are removed from the books. We still have holes all over the field. Midfield has now lost three contributors from last season in Olsen, Jacobson, Fred and possibly Gomez and we have only added Castillo. There are still questions about the forwards as well. Let's go United! Make it happen. I can't wait for the off season to be over just so I know what's going on!

Later today on the blog, thoughts on the draft. Tomorrow, I will post a short interview with Lawson Vaughn.

No comments:

Post a Comment