Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Onalfo...


The team announced the sixth coach in team history today. It can be debated whether this was a good move, but I, for one, will put faith that the club has done it's due diligence in making the decision to have Curt Onalfo lead the charge starting this season. I believe there are reasons for optimism:

1) Youthful, energetic coach, 2) His familiarity with the team ideals and staff, 3) His history of working with young players in his time directing our United Youth Development program for two years.

I also believe there are issues which make this a questionable decision:

1) His sketchy success as a head coach while in Kansas City, 2) Despite his resume which boasts time leading our youth development, he has had sketchy results in the MLS Superdraft, 3) The continued recurrence of his language abilities as a qualification to be a head coach of United.

I believe there are certain things which will dictate whether or not this new leadership will be successful. I first believe that the relationship between Kasper, Onalfo and Ashton must click. There has to be communication and a consensual understanding on the direction of the club and player acquisitions. I also believe that Onalfo's ability to direct the transition of Moreno, Emilio and Gomez to younger legs will be critical.

My ultimate feeling is that the Onalfo decision was high risk, but could also be high reward. I do believe the resourses and set up at United are advanced in comparison to Kansas City and that this could be helpful for Onalfo, but I am equally not placated by the excuse that Kansas City was a team without talent as a reason that Onalfo struggled during his tenure there. I think that his enthusiasm and understanding of the high expectations that come with the coaching position at DC United are important. We want people who understand what it means to wear OUR badge. He has my support and my hopes. Good luck Curt!

No comments:

Post a Comment